Tuesday 18 May 2010

Self Evaluation









Here is my Self Evaluation all about the 3 years I have been at university. I will be describing where my strengths lie, what I'm doing after the degree to further my creative life and to also looking to how I have developed as a Graphic designer technically and personally. 

1  What have you enjoyed the most about the course?
- I have enjoyed Being able to develop my knowledge and skills in Graphic communication, technically, visually and verbally.
- Being around a group of up beat, outgoing and confident creative individuals for three years, has been an excellent opportunity and really brings your confidence up while generating ideas etc. 
-  Also gaining knowledge through live briefs about what to expect and what standard work has to be done in the 'real world' is an exciting opportunity to boost your profile.

2  In what ways do you think you have developed or changed during the last year?
- I have become aware of the importance of understanding the psychological factors when developing a solution for a brief, is. You must understand your target audience before you design for them. 
- Become aware of the fast pace you have to work and develop your ideas to keep on top of your targets. I have learnt that by keeping your eye open and getting involved with anything an everything that inspires you. Also to never take thing at face value and find out about them first, trying something new.
-  This may sound stupid but I have realized that to become an original graphic communicator the focus must be emphasized on COMMUNICATING in a range of ways to fulfill your clients needs.
- My skills on illustrator, Indesign, Aftereffects have vastly improved this year developing my potential hopefully to get more of a chance in the future.

3  What do you think your strengths are in relation to Graphic Communication and becoming a designer or working/training in a related area?
- My strengths are definitely idea development stages and potential solutions, which will benefit when working in a team. 
- I have a keen eye for typography and the ability to work well with layout and housetyle.
- I think it is a key part as a graphic designer to not just have the technical skills but to be confident about expressing your opinion about others as positive criticism. Also I am confident to approach and talk to anyone  who I can benefit or ask for an opinion in order to benefit me.  As well as this I have the confidence to approach and feel comfortable talking to people I do not know.

4  What has hampered your learning?
- The room decreased in size to become a small room with 3 tables which hardly inspired creative space and not having laptop I found I was working at home a lot.
-  My working process for the dissertation was slow, finding it hard to cope with the dissertation whilst focusing in on other projects. If I was to do it again I would have got the bulk of it done in the summer.
- The lack of Screenprinting workshops, which took 2 year to arrive, for our final project.

5  If you work outside college (voluntary or paid), what skills do you think you have gained or developed through doing this?
- Matt Cant - Advertising Photographer. I really learnt how the real world works from a briefing to the print off in a matter of hours. A huge reality check was the sheer pace that everything happened. It was exhilarating.  
-Prontaprint - Ireland, Dublin. Gained skills in Quark Express, developing business cards, also how the creative process works on the when going to print. I learnt some vital information to about what needs to be checked before going to print.
-Tesco's/ Millenium Stadium/Swalec Stadium - Cardiff. I have learnt that I do not want to be in a job that involves stacking shelves and cashing up or serving people you would rather punch. Saying that these jobs have kept my mind elsewhere and have been a vital ingredient in affording equipment and ink for my coarse. 

6  What plans do you have after you finish the course to continue your development as a designer or related profession and make further progress in your field?
- Matt Cant has been in the creative industry for 20 years now and he has kindly offered me to work as his second Photographer at his photoshoots for the Saracen rugby team. I have previously done this a couple of times and have loved it. This is also a possible lead to other work in the creative industry through Matt and will go from there.
- I am going on Snowboard season in Canada of which have been contacting companies out there to get some work experience for so fingers crossed I get lucky. I will be documenting this trip in order to take full advantage of the experience while snowboarding out there.
- Potential client in Wrexham I am waiting to hear back from relating to a job opportunity with a creative design firm newly built there.

No comments:

Post a Comment