Tuesday 18 May 2010

Personal Reflection



The end is near; am I ready to leave yet? 

YES is the answer. 

Over the three years of studying graphic communication at the Cardiff, School of Art and Design, I have engaged in a large number of tasks, briefs, challenges, problems, lectures, workshops, presentations, exhibitions, talks and even the odd graphics social.

Both in and outside university, I feel I have developed as a creative individual compared to what I knew and thought when I first arrived at CSAD. My working method has improved from the endless amount of practice through the briefs. I have learnt that your working method is a key part to a successful outcome. You need to keep to a time scale in order to leave enough time for implementing the final solution.

Overtime I have realized that the psychological factor in any brief you are given is generally a very important side to consider. Through the third year I have become interested in the psychology side of design, considering who the designer is trying to target and what subtle changes or styles they have made, in order to express every emotion. This is another factor I have become fascinated with and that is how emotion in design can be expresses before people get to read into the deeper meaning. This has helped me realize that emotion in design plays a big part to the cognitive thoughts when your work is first looked at.

From working with my peers and having group projects set I have gained a lot more confidence in my pushing my ideas forward which is now one of my strengths. This I found to be a key part of being a graphic designer because if you lack confidence and cannot communicate your ideas they will be looked over. Working as a team helped me realize, that your job is to work to your strengths and in a group if everyone’s strengths are in different areas it is a complete package. This also made me realize where my weaknesses lie, which I have been able to reflected on and improve.

Outside of university I was lucky enough to get work experience with two companies one being ‘Prontaprint’, which was situated in Dublin and the other being a freelance advertising Photographer ‘Matt Cant’. Through both of these experiences I developed my understanding into the working world outside university, which seems to be aimed at, not so much the research but more on the development and final outcome to be produced quickly and efficiently. 

To widen my knowledge with a media previously explored very little I joined on to a photography night class, which gave me the skills I needed to fulfill my projects and experiment with a new media. Whilst finding myself as a designer I acquired a love for photography, which has been shown in previous projects. I feel now that it is important to know what makes a good picture from composition to filters and effects. Also using your own imagery in briefs I find rewarding. In the last year I have learnt how to use ‘After Effects’ an Adobe program that seems to be kicking off in the design industry. These skills will hopefully give me an edge when it comes to future employment and to stand out in amongst the crowd.

I feel in order for a graduate student to have more of a chance in the competitive world of Graphic Design, they must have a something different about them. With viral advertising is being on the forefront of design and quirky innovative advertising, I will further develop my skills in After Effects to become of a professional standard and this will provide me with a bonus feature to my over all abilities as a graphic designer.

To conclude I feel my time here at Cardiff School of Art and Design has proven as a ladder of experiences and personal development to prepare me for the thriving creative industry that is ahead of me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment